Author Just break in issues?  (Read 1469 times)

Offline Itarian   ro

• Transalp Member  ‐    12
  • Topic Author

Offline Itarian

• Transalp Member
  • Topic Author
Just break in issues?
on: July 19, 2023, 09:25:04 pm
July 19, 2023, 09:25:04 pm
I've had my Transalp 750 for 10 days and have ridden it 2500 kms.  I have been experiencing a slight hesitation while cruising on level road that at first made me wonder if I was running out of has.  There can also be some power dropping or hesitations (since 1000 kms) when accelerating harder around 8000 rpm . 

Since passing 1000 kms it may be a bit better and also seems to really need to be 100% or very warmed up.  Then at other times seems very normal.  Changing riding mode makes no difference.

I wondered if perhaps an injector is clogged, but that cannot be on a new bike, right?

I also have a 2022 tenere 750  (15 months old) with 22,000 kms.  As a comparison, not a single break-in issue and smooth power at whatever speed and rpm.

Is it just a break in thing or just how they are?  Anyone else?

Griff

Griff

Re: Just break in issues?
Reply #1 on: July 20, 2023, 04:02:26 pm
July 20, 2023, 04:02:26 pm
The bike I tested over 150kms a couple of weeks ago only had 140kms on the odometer when I picked it up. Accordingly I had to continue the break in procedure while testing. I don't recall any hesitation even at a steady throttle for a short distance on motorway, less than 10kms. Your bike might just need a software update ? Perhaps check battery connection also.

• Offline Blackrockfox   gb

• Transalp Pro  ‐    65

Offline Blackrockfox

• Transalp Pro
    • Bike: XL750 Transalp
    Reply #2 on: July 25, 2023, 06:57:39 am
    July 25, 2023, 06:57:39 am
    Mention it to your dealer or contact Honda

Some others including me find the throttle a bit jerky sometimes
    I have mentioned this to a dealer
    They suggested it may be partly due to ride by wire
    I have found quite a few modern bikes do it
    My early Triumph Tiger 800XC did it

You say that changing modes does not help but I have found a slight difference
    Try using User mode and adjust the various settings
    You can change the modes whilst riding according to one youtuber but it has to be when decelerating
    Obviously be careful doing it on the move

Hope this helps, keep us posted as all these posts will help someone, somewhere

info.uk@honda-eu.com

Offline Itarian   ro

• Topic Author

Offline Itarian

• Transalp Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #3 on: July 25, 2023, 10:09:52 am
    July 25, 2023, 10:09:52 am
    Update: currently at 2600 kms.  I agree that different modes does make a difference.  I set user mode to full power, full eb and turned traction control off.  This seems to make a difference meaning that the computer is involved.

My 22 tenere 700 also has a very minor bit of uneven power at cruise but I never even noticed it before.  The Transalp is just more obvious, perhaps by design.  It is enough to be distracting, but I may just not be used to it.  Dismissing this as such and just difference.  Maybe the review of 'razor sharp throttle' is a good thing?

However, power dropping on full acceleration around 8000 rpm is not by design I think, but I can report it is disappearing with more kms.  Someone advised me that it may be break-in related and be patient.

I plan to go to the dealer if it does not settle in by 4000 kms or gets worse.  On my last ride it was almost gone.

Offline Sunrazor   se

• Transalp Member  ‐    36

Offline Sunrazor

• Transalp Member
    Reply #4 on: July 27, 2023, 10:38:04 am
    July 27, 2023, 10:38:04 am
    Mine is a tad jerky when keeping even speed at low speeds but that is down to the design of the engine and ride by wire. I have never noticed any power drop when reving it hard though. Not on the demo bike either. Make sure to report it so they have that on file in case of a recall or trouble further in time. If that was an old bike I would replace the stick coils. I suppose you could have gotten a faulty one. Ask the workshop if they could try that perhaps? It's cheap and a common cause of hesitation.

The engine is a rather noisy heap though. Rattles a bit and doesn't sound very sophisticated. The demo was the same. But it's alot of fun to ride.

Offline Itarian   ro

• Topic Author

Offline Itarian

• Transalp Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #5 on: July 27, 2023, 12:11:04 pm
    July 27, 2023, 12:11:04 pm
    I appreciate your reply and agree.  I am approaching 3000 kms and the 8k rpm hesitation has disappeared.  The low RPM issue is as designed I guess.

Not disappointed, just different.  It is amazing the differences between my Tenere 700 and the transalp 750.

Offline Sunrazor   se

Offline Sunrazor

• Transalp Member
    Reply #6 on: July 27, 2023, 12:36:31 pm
    July 27, 2023, 12:36:31 pm
    Happy to hear the hesitation disappeared. Probably just a run in thing as you said. The bike is way more fun than it should be really. Generally these type of bikes are not very agile and quick but this feels very much at home in the twisties aswell.

Still got my display issue to be resolved but I have alot of fun on it. Ride safe and have fun!  :169:

Griff

Griff

Reply #7 on: July 27, 2023, 10:04:57 pm
    July 27, 2023, 10:04:57 pm
    I am today 450kms into the running in process and not finding any throttle response issues of note. I was looking out for them but so far so good. Correction, a couple of times when blipping the throttle to change gear I noted a couple of spit backs due to leanness and also because I was a bit half hearted about the blip on those occasions.
    Last Edit: July 27, 2023, 10:06:47 pm by Griff

Offline Itarian   ro

• Topic Author

Offline Itarian

• Transalp Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #8 on: August 02, 2023, 05:07:32 pm
    August 02, 2023, 05:07:32 pm
    UPDATE: Now well over 3000 kms and things are better.  A big factor here may just be a longer break in period than I have seen before and just the dynamics of this motorcycle that I am just not used to.

The hesitation that happened at ~4000 rpm and ~8000 rpm on full throttle has disappeared.  There still is some noticeable 'lack of smoothness' or jerky throttle at those RPM's while cruising.  The dealer also noticed it today on a test drive.  Yet the dealer and I think it's just the nature of the beast.  Again, it is there as well on my 22 Tenere 700 if you really pay attention hard, so maybe just a throttle by wire thing.

He did offer to do full diagnostics in a few more thousand kms if I am interested.

Someone else pointed out that the computer is involved (the different riding modes does impact this) so it is possible that a software update may make a difference if one comes out.  Yet perhaps we do not want Honda to dull down something which will result in a less sharp throttle?

So I'm calling a 'razor sharp' no apologies feature.   Just gonna ride and enjoy.

Offline Sunrazor   se

Offline Sunrazor

• Transalp Member
    Reply #9 on: August 02, 2023, 10:50:20 pm
    August 02, 2023, 10:50:20 pm
    *Originally Posted by Itarian [+]
    UPDATE: Now well over 3000 kms and things are better.  A big factor here may just be a longer break in period than I have seen before and just the dynamics of this motorcycle that I am just not used to.

The hesitation that happened at ~4000 rpm and ~8000 rpm on full throttle has disappeared.  There still is some noticeable 'lack of smoothness' or jerky throttle at those RPM's while cruising.  The dealer also noticed it today on a test drive.  Yet the dealer and I think it's just the nature of the beast.  Again, it is there as well on my 22 Tenere 700 if you really pay attention hard, so maybe just a throttle by wire thing.

He did offer to do full diagnostics in a few more thousand kms if I am interested.

Someone else pointed out that the computer is involved (the different riding modes does impact this) so it is possible that a software update may make a difference if one comes out.  Yet perhaps we do not want Honda to dull down something which will result in a less sharp throttle?

So I'm calling a 'razor sharp' no apologies feature.   Just gonna ride and enjoy.

I find most modern bikes are kind of jerky while cruising. Mostly because of regulations regarding shutting down the injectors to save fuel when no throttle is applied. Which often going downhill e.g. and getting back on it results on a jerky moment. I don't experience mine as jerky though at those rpms. Tried dialing down the EB? Running it on E10 or E5?
    Last Edit: August 02, 2023, 10:51:33 pm by Sunrazor